design registration provides protection
for the appearance of either a 2 or 3 dimensional
article. Design registration can be powerful
where the article has special features or
a unique appearance (eg. a spare part) or
where the appearance has high aesthetic
appeal. A Registered Design gives one the
right to take legal action to prevent other
people from exploiting a product identical
or similar to that registered, without ones
Designs Act, 2000, is the law relating to
Designs in India, to grant registration
for designs and provide protection for shapes,
patterns, configurations etc. which are
unique and distinctive.
design means features of –
Shape, configuration, pattern, ornament
or composition applied to any article
• By any industrial process or means,
• Whether Manual, mechanical or chemical
• Which in the article appeal to and
are solely judged by the eye
can be registered?
new design which is the outcome of an inventive
activity, mentally conceived, put on the
drawing board, tangible and distinctive
in appearance can be registered as a Design.
• Advice on whether a design is suitable
• Filing and prosecution of a design
application before the Designs Office.
• Infringement searches
• Investigating the validity of registrations
• Filing and Opposing
• Technical support for licensing
• Negotiating and settling registered
• Organising renewals, watch, technical
drawing, translation and related services
• Enforcing design registration rights
against an infringer
procedure for registration of a design is
Application for design.
• Scrutiny of the design
• Analyzing the examination report
of the Design office
• Replying to examination reports.
• Hearings in respect of the design
• Stage of Oppositions and filing
• Registration of the Design
may contact us for any queries that you
may have and we shall be glad to assist
you in the same.
FOR REGISTRATION - DESIGNS